Payables Frequently Asked Questions
- When is a Payment Request Form required?
Unless your school, division or department has a different requirement, a Payment Request Form (PDF) is only needed when:
- An invoice with an invoice number is not part of the supporting documentation; or
- An invoice does not have an invoice number
When submitting an invoice with an invoice number to University Payables, please ensure the following is present. This information cannot obstruct any information on the invoice. Please place the information in a blank area on the invoice as the invoice must remain legible.
- Approval is given by writing on the invoice “ok to pay”
- The approval is signed and dated. The approver should print his/her name after the approval signature.
- The approver should identify his/her title.
- Provide general ledger coding/accounting string to which the expense should be charged. If the invoice is PO related, please identify the PO number, if the number is not present on the invoice. For blanket PO numbers, a release number with the PO number is needed.
- Why is a Payment Request Form required when I have already sent in the invoice?
A Payment Request Form (PDF) is required when an invoice does not contain a valid invoice number. A valid invoice must include an Invoice Number, Invoice Date, Company Name and Address, and Amount Due.
- When is a Purchase Order Required?
- What is the difference between a Purchase Order and a Payment Request?
A Purchase Order is issued by Procurement after a requisition is submitted to them. A Payment Request Form is used to submit an invoice for payment to University Payables.
- What is the process for creating a Purchase Order?
Information about creating a requisition for a purchase order is located on the purchase orders webpage.
- How can I process an invoice if there is a duplicate?
Research the invoices to ensure it is a duplicate.
If confirmed, unassign the duplicate adding a comment accordingly.
If you need something urgently removed please modify it prior to unassigning, which will allow you to process the one you have without having to wait for the duplicate to be removed by Payables staff.
Modify by doing the following steps:
- Delete the line items under itemization summary.
- Complete all the vertical red lined fields.
- Add DUP to the end of the invoice # field. For example: modify inv #123 to inv #123DUP.
- Change the invoice amount to 0.00.
- Save and unassign adding a comment.
- Where can I find information about the Supplier Registration process?
Information about new supplier registration is located in the Suppliers section of the Procure-to-Pay website. Existing suppliers can find information about updating and maintaining their data.
- What is the difference between an invoice and a pro forma invoice?
An invoice is the official document from a supplier requesting payments for goods or services rendered. A pro forma invoice is a price quote and subject to change. University Payables does not pay from pro forma invoices, statements, quotes or estimates.
- What is the status of my payment and where can I go to see payment information?
All departmental users can run the SC-255 report in the Enterprise Accounting System (EAS). If you require assistance in running this report, please visit EAS Training & Support and select the Learn about EAS Reports link.
- How do I receive an item in iBuy?
- How do I receive an item in EAS?
Please review these instructions for receiving items in EAS.
- How do I process a Homeland Security fee request in Concur Invoice?
Detailed information on the correct procedure for USCIS Filing Fee payment requests is available.
- How are 1099s handled by the University?
Stipends - a fixed sum of money paid that is intended to defray expenses such as tuition, fees, room, board, or incidental expenses. The IRS does not require stipend payments to be reported on Form 1099. It is the responsibility of the individual payee to determine taxability of the payments.
Fellowship - a stipend paid to graduate students that is based on academic excellence. The IRS does not require fellowship payments to be reported on Form 1099. It is the responsibility of the individual payee to determine taxability of the payments.
Honorarium - a payment given in recognition of special service or distinguished achievement such as a lecture, concert, or performance. Honorariums are reported on form 1099-Misc, Box 7.
- Why did my student not receive their stipend payment?
There are several reasons why the stipend did not pay. Please create a support ticket with the Division of Information Technology for further research.
- Who is my department approver and/or releaser?
Department Approvers and Releasers are assigned by the Finance Directors. Please contact your Finance Director if you are unsure of your Approver or Releaser.
- When are stipend checks issued?
Please see the Stipend Calendar Information for specific details.
- Can my student receive their stipend payment via electronic deposit?
- Why is there tax withholding on my stipend payment?
- Will I receive a Form 1099 for my stipend payments?
No, you will not receive a Form 1099 for your stipend payments. If you have additional questions on this subject, please contact the Tax Department.
- I received a scholarship/fellowship support, but I did not get a W-2 or a 1099-MISC form. Is this an error?
This is not an error. Although such support is generally taxable income, and the student should report it on his/her tax return, the payer is not required to issue a W-2 or a 1099-MISC form.
- When are the deadlines for submitting stipends?
Stipends use a weekly payment cycle. To be included in a weekly cycle, please release the stipends by Tuesday at 2 p.m. Payments will be produced each Wednesday and be available at the Marvin Center for pickup each Friday. Note: Stipends not released by 2 p.m. each Tuesday will be paid on the next weekly payment cycle. For more information, please refer to Stipend Resources.
Travel & Business Expense Reimbursements
- Can I still be reimbursed if I've lost my receipt?
Use an approved Missing Receipt Acknowledgement and Approval Form as your receipt in Concur. It is not intended to replace a missing/lost receipt on a consistent basis. Lost/missing receipts should be infrequent and unusual, as receipts can be reprinted or easily requested (i.e., hotels, catering, restaurants if the date is provided), and should generally be for small dollar amounts.
- Are receipts required for expenses less than $75.00?
Meals and miscellaneous expenses (tips for baggage handlers, metro fares, etc.) under $75.00 do not require a receipt but the expense must be appropriately documented.
- How do I determine the current mileage reimbursement rate?
We follow the IRS standard mileage rate. As this updates yearly, please put mileage rate in their search tab for the current rate. Concur does this automatically.
- I have direct deposit with Payroll. Why did I receive a check?
If you have direct deposit with Payroll, you should receive your reimbursements direct deposited. If this is not happening, you should contact University Payables at (571) 553-0247 or [email protected].
- How do I file for Regalia purchases?
Please see this step-by-step walk through for Concur on filing the report.
- How do I repay the University for advances and personal use charges?
Repayments should go through the Touchnet site.
Homeland Security Fees
- How do I process Homeland Security fee requests?
Homeland Security fee requests (U.S Citizenship & Immigration Services filing fees) are processed in iBuy+ Invoice. Guidance on completion of the form fields in Concur is available.
- I do not know the check number and payment date of the check I need to stop. Where do I find that information?
All departmental users can run the SC-255 report in EAS. If you require assistance in running this report, please visit EAS Training & Support and select the Learn about EAS Reports link.
- Can the replacement payment be issued electronically?
Yes. All supplier profile modifications such as banking changes must be initiated by the supplier using the new self-service portal, iSupplyGW. Information regarding the portal, along with training documentation, can be found in the Doing Business with GW section of the procurement website, or contact [email protected] for additional assistance.