The Payables Overview provides information about interfacing with, and submitting invoices to, University Payables for payment processing.
University Payables payment responsibilities include:
- Payments for Goods and Services
- Travel and Business Expense Reimbursements
- Award & Honorarium Payments
- Other Payments (i.e., Petty Cash and Human Subjects)
Before payment can be made to any individual, entity, or corporation otherwise known as a “Supplier", specific requirements must be met.
- GW Procure-to-Pay is the administrator for all purchase orders and suppliers doing business with GW. If applicable, a purchase order must be created, approved and identified as being associated with the requested payment. Information about purchase orders, a list of the certain types of transactions exempt from requiring a Purchase Order, and additional Procurement policies are available for review.
- University Payables policies and procedures and forms referenced within this document
- Policy governing travel and expense reimbursements
- Information about determining the appropriate coding for purchases of goods and services
Original invoices are required. However, invoices that come to University Payables through iBuy+ Invoice and DCFs, endowments, and GWorld refunds submitted through the Remedy eForm are considered originals.
Acceptable documentation is:
- Original invoices
- Fully executed contracts
- Letter agreements
- Other viable document that shows an obligation due a vendor/supplier
University Payables does not accept, as viable evidence of an outstanding obligation to a supplier/vendor:
- Proforma invoices, written estimates, written quotes, packing slips, emails, statements or similar documents. Such documents will not be accepted as evidence of an obligation and will not be used to disburse payment.
A valid invoice should be requested from all suppliers. It must include the following:
- Invoice Number
- Invoice Date
- Company Name, Address, etc.
- Remittance Address, if different from above
- Amount Due
In certain instances, however, a supplier may submit an invoice without an invoice number. In those instances, the department should utilize the invoice number protocol when submitting the invoice to University Payables.
An invoice submission requires supporting documentation. Any submission without supporting documentation will be returned by University Payables. The submitter or approver will be informed of the return and given instructions on how to resolve the issue(s) via the ‘Comments’ box in iBuy+ Invoice.
Two-way match invoices is used for services. It requires both a valid purchase order and invoice.
Three-way match invoices (PO, invoice and receiver) is used for materials or goods, such as equipment. It requires a valid purchase order, invoice and receiver.
- A receiver must be posted to avoid payment delays.
Sponsored project related invoices must have OVPR’s approval. These invoices are routed automatically within iBuy+ Invoice to OVPR.
Under no circumstances should an invoice be modified, including handwritten notations, to improve readability and legibility. University Payables personnel will not process an invoice that is illegible and/or difficult to read. The document must stand on its own.
A W-9, W8 BEN, or Worker’s Classification Statement, if applicable, is required.
- For individuals, such as independent contractors/consultants, a Worker’s Classification form must be completed by the department/school/organization hiring the individual. It is encouraged for the form to be completed and submitted to the Tax Department before the work begins.
- A W8 BEN is required for each international individual or entity. A W8 BEN has a three year life. It expires at the end of the third year following the signature date on the form.
Effective September 17, 2019, with the exception of DCFs, endowment related invoices and GWorld refunds, all commercial supplier invoices and internally created invoices, such as awards, honorariums, prizes and student/nonemployee expense reimbursements must be submitted through iBuy+ Invoice. iBuy+ Invoice allows our users to route invoices for approval via ‘workflow lite’ as required by each schools/divisions/departments’ internal authorization policies.
Allow three to five business days after the invoice/payment request is received by University Payables within iBuy+ Invoice for processing. Processing means the invoice/payment request has been posted to Oracle/EAS. It will be eligible for payment when the payment terms are met.
Invoices/payment requests are paid within payment terms set at the supplier master level. GW’s payment terms, in general, are 30 days. If you have a supplier, including individuals, with different payment terms, work with Procurement and/or Supplier Maintenance to update the terms.
Payment cycles occur on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, unless there is a holiday. In the event of a holiday, University Payables will “pay through” to the first business day following the holiday.
The preferred method of payment is JP Morgan Single Use Card or ACH/electronic payments. Domestic suppliers can provide their banking information through iSupplyGW. An international supplier can complete the Electronic Payment Form (PDF) and submit the form to the Procurement Department Supplier Maintenance email [email protected].
Suppliers should ensure the information provided is accurate and complete to avoid payment delivery issues. Further, it is recommended when a supplier has any questions about the banking information required to promote electronic payment delivery; they should work directly with their bank.
For students to receive direct deposit, they must complete the Direct Deposit Authorization form and submit the form to Payroll Services. Electronic payment is strongly encouraged.
Checks will be directed to the current address of the students receiving payment by check.
Employees need to have an address marked as a W-4 address for payment to process properly. Please be sure addresses are complete and updated as needed.
A Departmental Corrections & Cost Transfer Justification Form (DCF/CTJF) is used to redistribute grant related charges on the Award Project Performance Report (GM-139) with a category source of purchase invoices (to make corrections to invoices and payments previously charged. The Departmental Corrections Form with instructions and requirements for completing and submitting the form can be found on the University Payables website.
When an item is received on a three way PO in EAS or within the iBuy system, the receipt needs to be entered upon receipt of goods. If there are issues with the goods and a return is done; a credit or refund will be issued. Payment should not be held unless there is a defect or an issue with the product/materials received or service rendered.
- Submit invoices in a timely manner to University Payables via iBuy+ Invoice. You are strongly encouraged to take advantage of Capture for your commercial supplier invoices. Capture ‘lifts’ information, such as invoice number, invoice date, and invoice amount, from the invoice and creates an entry form. The form with the invoice attached is sent to the PO requester or the end-user identified on the invoice. The email address for Capture is [email protected].
- Submit DCFs, endowment related invoices, and GWorld refunds through the Remedy submission process.
- Make sure there are sufficient funds on the Purchase Order or for non-PO payments we have signature approval.
- If you want to know the status of an invoice, search the invoice in iBuy+ Invoice or review the AP-255 Invoice Inquiry Report in EAS. All department users should have access to EAS. Please visit EAS Training and Support and select the Learn about EAS Reports link.
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions page.
- By submitting electronically, you will be notified when the payment request has been received and when it is processed.
- You can send email inquiries to [email protected] or contact University Payables Customer Service at 571-553-0247.
- The suppliers’ payment will be sent to the address or the banking site they have indicated on their invoice or the payment request form.
- Receive goods timely.
45155 Research Place
Ashburn, VA 20147