II. University Contracts and Transactions - Where to Start

Contract Process Guide

University contracts and transactions may be initiated in a variety of ways, but generally there are three (3) different contract initiation areas within the university. More detailed instructions on how to engage these offices are outlined in the following sections of this Guide.

Procurement and Travel Services

The purchase of most goods and services needed by the university community is managed by Procurement

  • Supplies (office, lab, scientific, computer, operations)
  • Business cards and stationery
  • Office furniture
  • Coffee and water service for offices
  • Amendments to existing contracts
  • Research related goods and services
  • Travel (including hotels and conference space)
  • Mobile phones and service
  • Shipping services
  • Consultants
  • Subscriptions and periodicals

See Section III of this Guide for further information

Specific University Office

Specific university offices manage specialized transactions. Examples include:

  • Sponsored projects/research
  • Gifs and bequests
  • IT products and services (software/hardware, SaaS, cloud, web based)
  • Personnel matters
  • Audio and video recordings on campus
  • Disposal of surprise property
  • International affiliation
  • Student Activities
  • Rental of space at the university
  • Construction, renovation and repair services
  • Use of university name or image
  • Patents, technology transfer agreements
  • Transportation
  • Entertainment services (for on campus events)

See Section IV of this Guide for further information

Office of the General Counsel

If a desired transaction is not handled by either Procurement or a specific university office, the matter should be brought to the attention of Office of General Counsel, such as:

  • Affiliations and collaborations
  • Professional services (e.g., auditors, search firms, or outside counsel)
  • Purchase and sale of specialized goods, such as works of art or relics
  • Nondisclosure and confidentiality
  • Publication agreements
  • Performance agreements
  • Educational database access
  • Liability waivers and releases
  • Amendments to existing contracts handled by OGC
  • Other unique or specialized transactions

See Section V of this Guide for further information