P-Card Delinquent Reporting Protocol



Notification Protocol for Delinquent Reporting

NOTE: Please review the iBuy Expense Reporting Frequently Asked Questions located on the GW iBuy site for more information about expense reporting. 


What is the purpose of the protocol?

The protocol has multiple purposes as described below.

  • Obtain immediate action from employees and PCard holders to submit an expense report to address the aging charges.
  • Define the escalation path when timely action by the PCard holder does not occur. At 40 days, escalation to the employee’s manager will occur.
  • Define appropriate time frame for additional corrective activity such as declining reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses, suspension of PCard privileges and including the amount on the employee’s W-2.


Why is the protocol being implemented?

The protocol is being implemented to promote timely submission of expense reports and timely recognition of the related expenses.


Who is included in the protocol?

The protocol includes all purchasing card (PCard) holders, without exception.

Back to top

When will the charge privileges be revoked?

Revocation of charge privileges will occur when charges remain unsubmitted at 60 days from the card’s transaction date. In addition, the charges will be reported on the employees’ Form W-2 at 60 days, if no action is taken. Once charges are added to an employee’s W-2 form, the related expenses will not be reversed and the W-2 will not be amended.


When will charges be reported on employees’ W-2 forms?

Charges will be reported on employees’ W-2 60 days after the transaction date if no action is taken to address them through the submission of an expense report. Once charges are added to an employee’s W-2, the related expenses will not be reversed and the W-2 will not be amended.


Will card privileges be reinstated when the expense reports are submitted or the charges are included on the employee’s W-2?

Once PCard privileges are revoked, the PCard holder will be barred from reapplying for a PCard for a year.  An employee can request a PCard, which will be reviewed by the finance director and Procurement, after one year from the suspension.   If privileges are revoked a second time for delinquent reporting, the suspension will be permanent.

Back to top

Can I apply for a new PCard if my charge privileges are revoked?

After 60 days without action, an employee will be barred from reinstating the revoked PCard for a year. An employee can request a PCard after a year, and that request will be reviewed by the finance director and Procurement. If privileges are revoked a second time for delinquent reporting, the suspension will be permanent.


How is the aging of a transaction being calculated?

Aging is calculated by using the transaction date reported by the card company and the current date.


What if I submit an expense report but approval does not occur in a timely manner?

The aging of the PCard transaction stops when it is included in a submitted expense report. The employee will not be impacted by a submitted expense report pending approval by management, OVPR, Accounts Payable or others involved in the approval process.

Back to top

What if the aged charges are related to fraudulent activity?

No aging of fraudulent charges should occur. Employees who have a university PCard have a responsibility to review charges in a timely manner for accuracy and validity. If a fraudulent charge occurs, timely reporting of the charge to JP Morgan, the card issuer, must occur. Once the fraudulent charge is reported, JP Morgan will issue a provisional credit. The charge and the credit should be submitted on the same expense report.  If an employee through inactivity allows a fraudulent charge to remain unreported to the card-issuing company, he or she is responsible for the aged transaction pursuant to this protocol.


What if I submit an expense report but it is returned to me by one of the approvers?

Unsubmitted transactions are defined as transactions not yet included on an expense report or included on an expense report but not yet submitted for approval.


What if I cannot locate a receipt for one of the aged charges?

Contact the merchant and request a copy of the itemized, detailed receipt. Most merchants, including hotels, car rental agencies, and restaurants, will provide a copy of a receipt upon request.

If a copy of the receipt cannot be obtained from the merchant, either the Missing Receipt Affidavit form accessed by the Attach Receipt button within your report or the Missing Acknowledgement and Approval Form must be uploaded as the receipt.  Delegates must use the Missing Receipt Acknowledgement and Approval Form.

Please note that only expenses above $35.00 must be reported. The form must be completed in its entirety, signed by the employee and approved by the management representative to whom the employee reports. Note that the form is not intended to replace a missing/lost receipt on a consistent basis.  Lost/missing receipts should be infrequent and unusual, as most receipts can be reprinted or easily requested (i.e., hotels, catering, restaurants if the date is provided) from the merchant, and they should generally be for small dollar amounts.

Back to top

What if I am on extended business travel with limited access to the internet and cannot submit my expense report?

Expense reports must be submitted as often as access to the internet is available. Alternatively, an option is to make arrangements through your finance director to assign a delegate who can submit the report(s) on your behalf while you are on travel. This requires, however, providing the delegate with the receipts and the pertinent information to allow him/her to accurately create and submit a timely report on your behalf. Although a delegate is assigned, it does not diminish your responsibility for the expense reports’ timely completion and accuracy.


When will new employees be aware of the protocol?

Any new employee who will hold a PCard will receive training on the protocol as part of the PCard training. The PCard training is required before a PCard is issued.


When can I submit an expense report?

Employees are encouraged to submit expense reports as frequently as possible to ensure timely recognition of the related expenses and to prevent PCard transactions from aging. Therefore, an employee who is on extended travel should submit reports during the travel and not wait until his/her return to the office. Travelers can use tools such as the Concur Mobile App for smartphones to facilitate uploading receipt images and submitting expense reports at home or while traveling.

Back to top

I purchase tickets and other travel costs 60 days or more ahead of a trip to get good prices. If we can’t submit expenses until after the trip is over; how do we avoid an issue with the 60 day policy?

Out of pocket transactions should be submitted within 60 days following the completion of travel.  Conversely, travel purchased on a P-card should be submitted within 30 days of the transaction date.  It’s recommended that costs be put on a P-Card whenever possible and not a personal card.


My out of pocket expenses are only for purchases and not travel.  What date do I use for the under 60 day requirement? 

The transaction date on the receipt.


What do I do if my PTA number is not available in time to submit within the 60 days.

Back to top

Please reach out to Donna Ginter to assist if your trip is nearing the 60 day time frame. Alternatively, you may assign any expense to your R or C fund, and then transfer the charge to the PTA once established.  We cannot take action on awards until which time OVPR has built them within the Grants module.