IV. Contracts Originating through Other Offices

Where Procurement is Not Initially Involved

There are several types of transactions that are handled by particular offices in the university. The following is a list, by subject matter, of those transactions and the responsible office. If you are dealing with one of the transaction types noted below you should reach out to the specific office to ensure the transaction will be handled appropriately. These offices should be contacted early in the contract process because they have expertise and existing processes in place. In many cases, after working with one of these offices, your contract should be reviewed by the Office of General Counsel in accordance with Section VI, the Contract Review and Approval Process.

Contracts Handled by Specific University Offices


IT Products and Services

GW Information Technology (GW IT) must be contacted to review all proposed transactions that have IT implications, including security, and compatibility issues or concerns. GW IT must review all such contracts before they can be executed.

The GW IT Service and Contract Management Office manages the contract review process for GW IT. Contracts submitted for review and general questions can be submitted to [email protected]. GW IT may alert other offices in specific reviews, as needed.
Audio and Video Production Services For production company services, the Office of Risk Management and Insurance has provided a list of approved production company contractors, based on completion of a risk assessment. Procurement requirements still apply to these contractors, depending on the funding source and amount of the contract.
Audio and Video Recording Permission Recording on campus, including photography and filming, for external news, film and/or documentary purposes (not for internal videos/audios that a GW school or unit is developing for their own marketing and outreach) must be approved by External Relations’ Media Relations department. Please contact [email protected] for additional information.
Construction and Renovation Services

Facilities Planning, Construction and Management coordinates and manages all construction and renovation projects on GW campuses and maintains a process for administering construction-related contracts. Please contact (202) 994-6700 for additional information. Requests for repair services are submitted using the Fix-It System.

Entertainment Contractors For on-campus entertainment services (i.e., amusement activities, games) and production companies (i.e., lighting, sound, etc., for staged events), the Office of Risk Management and Insurance has conducted a risk assessment and provided a list of approved contractors. Procurement requirements still apply to these contractors, depending on the funding source and amount of the contract. 
Gifts and Bequests The Division of Development and Alumni Relations assists the university in the receipt of donations. Each of GW’s schools and colleges, along with departments such as Athletics and Libraries, has their own development office. Initiating gift and bequest transactions should begin with these offices. Contact information is included in the following web link: How to Give to GW.
International Affiliations The Office of International Programs must be consulted on all contracts with foreign entities and/or relating to academic activity overseas. They also must review all contracts with international academic affiliations prior to execution at GW. The Office of International Programs can be reached at [email protected] or (202) 994-0470.
Personnel Matters Human Resources Management & Development is available to provide expertise on employee personnel matters at GW, including employee/executive searches, employee performance, and employment contracts. With regard to contracts with search firms, to ensure the ability of the university to appropriately document the recruitment and selection process, to comply with reporting requirements under federal law, and to adhere to university policies and standards, the responsible university office must contact designated HR staff to coordinate search protocol with the search firm prior to the start of the search process. Within each school and division, a designated HR Client Partner can be reached to assist you. Contact information located at: https://hr.gwu.edu..
Rental of GW meeting or performance space

External Relations’ Events and Venues department coordinate the scheduling, planning and executing of events held in campus meeting, performance, and event spaces. Requests to rent space can be made through their online booking system (link below). For additional information, please contact Events and Venues at (202) 994-7470 or [email protected]. Booking a Space at GW

Repair Services

Facilities Planning, Construction and Management manages all on-campus repair and maintenance services, including housekeeping, moving services, pest control, life safety upkeep, grounds and recycling/waste management. Requests for maintenance are submitted using the Fix-It System. Please contact (202) 994-6706 for additional information.

Sponsored Research

The Office of the Vice President for Research works collaboratively with principal investigators and their department staff to properly submit research proposals and oversee the administration of grants and contracts throughout the life of a project. Each School and Gelman Library has a sponsored projects manager. Please consult the GW Research Directory to find your contact. If you are unsure of who to contact, please contact [email protected] or (202) 994-6255.

Student Activities The Division for Student Affairs has established clear steps for all registered student organizations working with external contractors to coordinate student activities. Student organizations are not permitted to sign any contract and must work in conjunction with staff advisor to obtain the appropriate signature. For additional information, contact the Division for Student Affairs at (202) 994-6555 or visit Student Engagement Policies and Guidelines.
Surplus University Property Allocation and/or Disposal For guidance on the proper allocation and/or disposition of surplus university property, please see the Surplus University Property Policy. Also, as applicable, see the Electronic Equipment Recycling Policy and/or Fixed Asset Management Policy.
Technology Commercialization The Technology Commercialization Office oversees all aspects of technology commercialization at GW, including licensing technologies and commercializing innovations. They can be reached at (202) 994-5866 or [email protected].
Transportation Services For transportation services, the Office of Risk Management and Insurance has provided a list of approved transportation contractors, based on completion of a risk assessment. Procurement requirements still apply to these contractors, depending on the funding source and amount of the contract.
GW's Names and Logos for Third Parties and Merchandise Use of GW's names and logos are monitored by the Division of External Relations, Marketing and Creative Services Department. To obtain permission for use of the university’s name or trademarks for third parties please submit the third party logo request form. When purchasing merchandise for your department or organization please make sure to follow the university's guidelines for merchandise and submit all artwork for approval.